Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mardi Gras...?

Mardi Gras - also known as Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, and Pancake Tuesday - is more than just a wicked party in New Orleans. It marks the beginning of Lent, a time of fasting before Easter, and so is always in the spring. Apparently, it is also at the beginning of July in Montreal.


The Festival International du Jazz comes to a close today, and they have put together a Mardi Gras parade .... because it's Tuesday? And New Orleans - which is all about jazz - celebrates it spectacularly?


I think it might just be because Montreal loves a party. I like walking home and seeing this guy driving down my street:

Followed by the biggest marionette ever suspended from a crane:


These photos were all on my phone during the last couple of blocks of my walk home. I have 20 minutes to decide if I want to grab my SLR and try to get some better shots before the parade gets underway...

No comments:

Post a Comment