Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Myths of City Living

Since reading "Bright lights, big ass" I've been thinking a lot about how the glamourous city life is often so so far from reality. And not just because I can't afford a single pair of designer shoes.

This morning, for example. It was excellent until I left the house (early!). I'd done my makeup, flat-ironed my hair, was rocking a super-cute outfit, life was good. I was at the bus stop (early!) and waited around for the bus, until it arrived on time.... but packed. Even though I was one of the first people waiting, I ended up at the back of the line to get on. Everyone boarded, and then I was holding out my pass and the bus driver closed the doors. Seriously. He drove off, leaving me standing there in a snowbank. First of all, I'm not that big. I'm pretty sure I would have fit. Second of all - I was there FIVE MINUTES EARLY. The people who show up late should be the ones who have to stand out in the cold another 15 minutes.

Needing something to life my spirits, I decided to spend my 15 minutes wisely and grab a comfort latte at Starbucks. I was standing waiting for the drink at the bar when I saw the next bus pass by, almost empty, FIVE MINUTES EARLY. I got my drink, resigned to going to the subway station a block south to wait for the next one somewhere warm. Once outside, I noticed the bus that had passed was very delayed at the stop half a block north. There was a giant snow bank between the people area and the road. Little old ladies can be slow climbing snowbanks. I was pretty sure I could make it, so I hustled, sloshing latte all over my gloves as I ran. Then, the second bus within touching distance pulled away from me without letting me board. Time to kill another 15 minutes.

I spent them cold and in the bus shelter.

When I got off the bus (not too crowded, but I'd still had to stand), snow clearance was going on in earnest. My commute ended with me running up a packed snow hill away from a fast approaching snow plow.

Observation #1- I'm never making fun of tractors in rural places again.

Observation #2 - I'd like to see any of the sex and the city girls OR jen lancaster pull that off in cute heels.

Observation #3- When it takes an hour to pull off a 10-15 minute commute, you have a problem.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww! Your tale fills me with pity. You need to learn to claim your place in line and defend it I think... Jen wouldn't have let people 'bud' her.

    ReplyDelete